I’ve been testing out the new Core Gold Mount Fx6 battery plate. Core has designed the plate to be as small as possible around the three Gold Mounts that connect the battery to the plate, and this goes the same for the Nano batteries. I’m impressed by how there is no space between the outer edges of both products, making it as small as possible while incorporating the locking mechanism and latch in one.
I feel with any product there are pros and dislikes, or more of a wishlist.
- Compact, lightweight and sits close to the camera body. Easy to still use the camera handheld.
- Designed around the limitations of the 3 point Gold Mount connections, making it as small as possible.
- Slides up and down and also hinges up, which makes easy access to the battery compartment.
- Can run a camera battery in conjunction with the battery plate.
- Attaches to the cameras 1/4 inch accessory holes with two screws, either with a screwdriver or fingers.
- Four power outlets, D-Tap, Usb, Lemo and 19.5 to power the camera.
- One power input to run the camera from the mains power supply via the battery plate.
Dislikes, or what I would hope for :
- The mains power supply input does not power the D-Tap, Usb and Lemo power accessories, you still need a battery on the battery plate for that (which is the same on the Core Fx9 battery plate).
- The mains power supply feels a little redundant because of what I mentioned above, plus the camera power supply input is easily accessible with this plate attached to the camera, so you could easily power the camera from the direct input.
- I would have liked to see the battery plate input go to a dummy battery, which would allow battery information to be displayed on the screen.
This is mainly my B camera to my Fx9 and I’m trying to keep it as small as possible, however I did not want to buy extra U98 batteries and chargers, so I feel like having this battery plate and the Nano Micro 3 stud Gold Mount core batteries is a great alternative. During this shoot I was just charging my batteries from the D-Tap charger, which is so perfect for traveling in this case.
Sony PXW-FX6 Battery Plate
NANO Micro 3-Stud
D Tap Charger